Saturday, July 4, 2009

More temporary bachelorhood

First a question and a picture. The question is this: what do you think of the photos on my NYU page, and personal webpage? More specifically, do they make you feel like you'd want to hire me to be in a philosophy department? Any feedback is welcome.

And here's the picture (from the side of the memorial church from two posts ago):



In other (fascinating) news, I got the paper down to 29 pages. It got less painful as I went along - partly because I realized that I should write a quick paper addressing this one view that has become 'hip' recently (interpreting Kant as holding that the self is an activity). That's actually the view I originally thought I was going to defend... and it's good that I didn't, because last September a new book came out arguing for that at length.

Speaking of work - last Wednesday night Nick and Karl (Stang and Schafer) let me pitch one of my possible job talks to them. It was super, super helpful. I've never had that amount of relentless, punchy feedback in one sitting before. The two of them together, with enough added coffee, are like a Kant centrifuge - kind of violent, but just so that all the junk floats to the top and can be skimmed off. Of course, now I realize that the paper needs to be completely rewritten. But that's okay.

3 comments:

  1. Both pictures are nice, but the Kantstrasse one definitely makes me want to hire you to teach philosophy. The other one makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jessica. Maybe I should put a caption under the cake picture saying that I like feeding cake to people I share a department with.

    ReplyDelete