Friday, July 3, 2009

Temporary bachelor life

For the past few days I've been on my own in the apartment, and I have a few more days before I go meet Naomi in Vienna. My main goal for this lonesome stretch was to get a new version of my writing sample together, both shortening it down and incorporating the various comments I got when I presented it last month. The revision's going slowly, but it's getting done. The thing's 34 pages now (leaving out the 'works cited' section'), down from 39, and I'll see if I can trim off another 4.

One thing that's funny about doing revisions like this is that, after going through about a dozen versions, there is some reason for every aspect of the paper - everything in there has some sort of justification. So cutting it down is an internal struggle at every step. I think that's why it's taking me so long. I remember the same thing happening to a number of other NYU people who were getting ready to go on the market; they were getting lots of feedback, and spending lots of times working on drafts, but ended up making almost no real changes in the last few months.

On a different note: I was so excited to find peanut butter at one of the nearby supermarkets that I forgot to get olive oil, which was my main reason for going.

No comments:

Post a Comment