Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Beautiful morning

It really is. Sunny, with some gentle poofy clouds drifting along. A little cool, but warm in the sun. Birds are singing and the trees are swaying in the breeze.

On that positive note...

I've been really surprised at how, well, stupid my limited German makes me feel. I know full well that that's irrational, that my lack of language skills come out of lack of time spent working on the language, but I still get this really clear feeling of being an idiot when I can't make out what's going on. (Yesterday was especially rough - the colloquium paper was on Hegel, who I can't make sense of even in English, and so I couldn't even guess the thread of the conversation.)

It's a useful experience to have, though, because I think I now have a slightly (very slightly) better idea of what it's like being an immigrant. The popular US stereotype of Mexican immigrants being lazy often seems to be strengthened by the way that the immigrants tend to stay in separate communities and don't learn English. But this feeling of being stupid fuels both of those: feeling stupid sucks, so it makes me want to hang out with other English-speakers, and it makes it much, much harder to find the motivation to learn the language. And that's true for me even though I'm living a life of (relative) luxury, without having to have a real job.

5 comments:

  1. Surprise! Guess who is sitting in an Epidemiology class and reading your posting! Yes, new lingo can also make one feel stupid--if I miss a concept the teacher is presenting just because I can't remember what a medical term that we learned last year means, is that a similar phenomena? :) Prof is looking at me, must stop typing now. More later Bro! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz!

    I think the not-knowing-the-language thing is worse than having new lingo thrown at you, mainly because it can happen in contexts where people are just trying to make some causal, friendly conversation. Having to uncomprehendingly smile and nod in a situation like that just burns...

    Of course, I've got things good in lots of ways, not least of which is that lots of people here do speak English, and seem to be on the lookout for chances to practice it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you also have a better idea of what it's like being an int'l student in his first (or even second) year :) I'm relieved that they speak English there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hyunseop - yeah, I don't know how you did it (except that your English is great, of course). Maintaining intellectual momentum in academics is hard enough without getting any extra stress for language issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Colin, thanks for all the immigrant love. This post reminded me of the my "best" high-school years.

    ReplyDelete