Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ajvar

You know how, if you go to some foreign country for a while, you're supposed to get really into some sort of food or drink that's hard to find back home? I think I may have found my thing at the local Turkish store: Ajvar. It's amazing.

(Now someone from back home will probably tell me that Key Foods, Whole Foods and every corner store in New York all have a whole ajvar section, and that I must be the only person who's ever lived in New York who doesn't eat it regularly. But I'll enjoy my illusion and my jar of ajvar while it lasts.)

4 comments:

  1. oh no! i just saw it at the coop... (hopefully that doesn't ruin your illusion, and rather is comforting knowing you can still get it when you come home...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comfort of knowing I can get it at the Co-op goes a long ways. If I want to keep up the travel-snobbery, though, I'll have to pretend that whatever kind they sell there is nothing like what I had here. I think I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will become uncomfortably jealous, and have to remove you from my RSS feed, if you persist in posting about local delicacies. I formally submit my protest, and demand that you desist from all such behavior.

    Instead you might describe the street paving, local dialectical variations, the transit schedule. This might make for more pleasant reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess - I'm not sure jealously will be reliably avoided on those subjects. The street paving here is excellent. So long as one avoiding cobblestone roads, one can ride one's bike smoothly throughout the city. Not only are there nice bikelanes everywhere, but the city is very flat, and, as far as I've seen, Berliners are pretty good about not running over bikers. Hopefully this will not retrospectively sound ironic anytime in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete