Monday, April 6, 2009

'Anmelden'...

...is my word for the morning. It means to announce or register. Another lesson from the morning is that when people say "everyone in Berlin speaks English," they really mean "a fair number of people in Berlin speak English." So, for example, one might have thought that someone at the government agency where you're supposed to register your residence would speak English. But one who thought that would be thinking wrongly.

It worked out okay, though. About a half-hour wait was spent staring at forms I didn't understand and internally kicking myself for not bringing my dictionary, then my number (103) came up, and a very patient ('geduldige') woman put up with my stutterinig German and walked me through the forms.

I have my first academic meeting this afternoon. That should be good.

1 comment:

  1. Don't let them fool you Colin: everybody at the Rathaus speaks English, it's just that they're all colossal dicks and refuse to.

    ReplyDelete