Monday, April 20, 2009

A small note about food

With apologies to Jess...

Eating out is really cheap in this city. There's a place near here where a huge doenner kebab sandwich is 2 Euros (and they give you free tea). Upgrading to a full plate is only 1.5 more. Yesterday, Amy, Audrey and I went to a Spanish restaurant down the street that had a huge brunch buffet for 7.50 - including stuffed peppers, potatoes gratin, roasted vegetables of various kinds, crepes, some sort of spinach pie, cheesecake, and on and on. Plus, the tax is already included, and the expected tip is almost nothing (I tipped .50 in a bar yesterday, and that was considered generous). Maybe the best part is that almost none of these places are crowded, so, unlike NY, you feel no pressure to get moving.

I'm not sure how it works economically. It must be because the rent is so cheap, or something.

On the downside, I've been missing the Park Slope Co-op produce. Not only is the broccoli plastic-wrapped here, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of green leafy vegetables (cabbage doesn't really count), and the tomatoes I've bought so far have been kind of meal-y. I don't know if this is just bad luck, or something about Berlin, or what. Fortunately, there's always eating out as a possibility.

My accomplishment so far for the day: I figured out what I was doing wrong with the bank machines. Two new words:

  • Girokonto - a checking account. Such as the one I have.

  • Sparkonto - a savings account. Such as the one I don't have, but which I've been trying to withdraw money from.

1 comment:

  1. i too miss the park slope co-op produce. and i can also confirm that: 1) vegetables under plastic wrap are really weird (this is why i do not buy produce from trader joes) and should not be purchased by anyone 2) cabbage certainly does not count as a green leafy vegetable and should not be consumed by anyone and finally 3) mr. k knew all along why you couldn't use the bank machine, but was planning to let you figure it out on your own. this plan has succeeded, as he knew it would.

    ReplyDelete