Thursday, April 2, 2009

Another adolescence

So far, some aspects of being new in Germany remind me of being 13. I feel like everyone is looking at me. I mumble when I talk to people, and they either don't understand me, or else correct my grammar. I'm expected to use the phone, know how to write and mail letters, and open my own banking account, but the thought of doing any of those things is mortifying. I'm tempted to just hide in my room with the curtain drawn, except that then I'll have a big stack of homework staring at me. And my girlfriend is a long ways away and reachable only by internet.

(Actually, I didn't even have an internet girlfriend when I was 13, though I think I wrote one letter about my mountain bike to a girl I met on AOL.)

And, in fact, today was pretty nice. After running and eating my perfect breakfast (see below) I managed to mail a letter, open a bank account and get a huge amount of work done: spent a couple hours reading Nora Roberts, read about 90 pages of Michael Smith's book, and then went back over about 10 pages of my "Learn Biblical Hebrew" book.

Tomorrow my plan is to go for a long walk and check out Humboldt University and its surroundings. So there will probably be pictures of things for which you can find much better pictures online.

No comments:

Post a Comment