Thursday, April 16, 2009

iRunning

Before coming over here, I bought an iPod shuffle. It's the sort of mainstream, consumerist, enjoyable thing I don't do very often, but Jeff and others convinced me that I might well want it while sitting around in Berlin waiting for Naomi to get here. It's really an amazing little box - stuffed with gnomes who play all sorts of instruments.

Part of the idea too was to use it for running, since I'm still telling myself I'm going to run a marathon next year. So yesterday I did my first run with it. I've never run before with music in my ears and it was... interesting. Not what I expected. I thought that Morbid Angel would give me a huge boost, but it sort of didn't - I felt more like I was trying to run through a swamp. And I had some Beetles on there, and that gave me a significant boost. The whole thing was weird, though... I'm not sure whether I'll do it again. Being cut off from the world like that is just, well, weird (it would be perfect for sitting on a machine in a gym, though).

Today I'm meeting up with Conversation Partner #2 for a bike ride, and Conversation Partner #4 for dinner. Yesterday was pretty productive philosophy-wise (volunteers to read a new version of a paper on Kant and composition? You don't need to be a philosopher...), but I didn't do enough German.

Last bit of news: DAAD, who's giving me my stipend here, transferred money into my new account. Which is great. But I don't yet know how to withdraw it, partly because the bank machine presented me with 8 options, each of which seemed like it could be a plausible enough candidate for 'withdraw.' I'll figure it out.

New words:

  • 'verfuehren' - 'to seduce' (the third most common word in Nora Roberts translation, after 'der' and 'und').

  • 'feig' - 'cowardly/chicken' (maybe this could be a replacement for pejorative uses of 'gay' in US slang?).

  • 'abheben' - 'to lift up (e.g. a telephone) or to withdraw (money).

9 comments:

  1. I sort of agree about listening to music while running. But in case you decide to give that another go, I'd recommend Dragonforce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this problem too! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can't even walk with headphones in, I find it too distracting. But I do think those shuffles look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad y'all are weighing in against iPoding. I get an un-warm un-fuzzy feeling from people walking around listening to music. Not that I need to / want to talk to them, but the fact that they are completely unavailalble, and are inhabiting their own world, with different sounds from mine makes me feel more cut off from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't run with headphones in either - the music distracts me from my breathing. although i do like it for the gym, where it drowns out the bad gym music/loud fans. not that i've been to the gym in a while, but whatever. but i do like it for walking...precisely so people can't talk to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh...lewis would like to add that he doesn't run with headphones either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lewis would run with headphones if he'd eaten them off the floor. So would Kirill, I think... Kirill?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hell yeah! I love eating headphones off the floor. I just did it 5 minutes ago. Now it's time for a run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you'd like, I can record myself talking about the job market so that running in Berlin will seem just like running in Park Slope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. John - I would like that, actually. Could you record the full story arc of the season?

    ReplyDelete