Friday, April 3, 2009

Walking day

I woke up this morning, did about an hour of Nora Roberts, and then hit the streets. I walked up to the old church, then west on Unter den Linden to Brandenburg Gate, then over to the middle of the Tiergarten, then down to the Jewish Museum, then home. My feet are kind of sore, but it was a perfect day for it.

I put some pictures below, but here are some other notes:

-This guy rode past me on a bike who was bald, but still had a mohawk - it was angled so that it made a straight line avoiding the bald spot. Imagine a visor put on so that, if your head was a clock with your face being the front, the visor was pointing to 10:00. I'm going to start working on mine now.

-The Tiergarten is huge. I think Prospect Park is bigger, but not nearly as tidy and well-pathed. Lots of people running there.

-I've got an appointment next Thursday to talk to Rolf-Peter Horstmann, a (partly retired) Kant scholar I'd been hoping to get some time with. So that's good. And I've got an appointment on Tuesday with some guy named Alex who's supposed to be a German-English conversation partner. So that's all good.

-I spent a long time at the Jewish Museum today (maybe 3 hours?). I thought it was really well done. Serious and very moving, but not heavy-handed. The architecture is really effective, I thought, though I'd been skeptical about it before (looking like a bunch of angles without reason). And there's a bunch about Moses Mendelssohn, for Moses Mendelssohn fans. Including his glasses. If you had bad eyes in the 18th century, you might have worn something like this:


-The church right near me is advertising a performance of St. Matthew's Passion on Sunday. I might have to check it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment