Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Broccoli and Skype

I met with my fifth (and, I think, final) conversation partner today, a woman who's background is in anthropology (especially focused on the Middle East and Egypt). Another great conversation - she'd spent some time in northern Virginia suburbs, and we spent a while talking about the contrast between there and here.

In the course of talking to people here, I've found myself fishing around for explanations of why Americans do what they do. The thing I've found myself saying most is that Americans put an exceptionally high value on "people getting what they deserve." That's something everyone cares about, but I feel like many Americans often value that over things (e.g. making the world a happier place) in a way that Europeans don't. Does that sound right to anyone?

Also, yesterday I went to a talk by Jonathan Barnes, the eminent scholar of ancient philosophy. He was a very good presenter. He reminded me of Paul Revere.


Guesses as to what the thing on the right is? Broccoli. The most plastic-wrap-protected broccoli you can buy here. And, also, the least plastic-wrap-protected broccoli you can buy here. All the broccoli I've seen so far (and, admittedly, I haven't put that much time into looking for it) is like this. Eggs and milk can sit out unrefrigerated in stores, and other vegetables can happily sit around naked, but broccoli seems to demand the best protection.
(The drink on the left is Apfelschorle - a mix of apple juice and bubbly water that comes in giant bottles.)





This is my view of my Brooklyn apartment from here in Berlin (Naomi was just off to the left hand side).

3 comments:

  1. Are you going to meet with each of these people regularly? Is it like a conversation partner version of In Treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Treatment

    ReplyDelete